Blog Archive

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Microteaching II - Indirect Methods

Alright, this is the space where I would like my fellow student-teacher candidates to comment on my Microteaching II lesson.  As all of you know, both of our camera's decided to die half way through my lesson. And for the folks that were able to stay through the night as I went downstairs into the lobby to charge them, we decided to continue recording Nathan's lesson because his schedule was strained.

Here, I would appreciate there being two sets of commentary.

The first can be about my attempt at Microteaching in the SU room.  Although the lesson wasn't finished, we nearly reached all the areas that I wanted to cover without reaching the Main Idea segment.  Please do critique how my performance was in this lesson.

And once I have finished editing my recording, I would like my group members to watch this video and comment in the same way as well.  I first and foremost apologize for the lack of communication (with Final Exams taking place and everyone rushing to finish their own Microteaching II lessons), but I would much appreciate the 5 to 10 minutes it will take you to help me improve my lessons for the future!


4 comments:

  1. Bill, I thought your lesson was quiet interesting and it was a great example of indirect instruction. The topic is very modern and it allows for practically every student to relate to. It was very informative and it really made me think about if video games had had an impact on my development. It made me think about what could be taught through this tool. All the time you hear about the negative impacts that video games are having, but you never hear the other side and it was very interesting to hear it. The decision that you lead ato the end maybe difficult to replicate in a regular classroom, but it went very well with us. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bill! I got to see the introduction to your lesson before the cameras died out and we had to stop, but I was so interested at that point already that I wish I got to stay to see the end. The material was current and age appropriate so I know it would engage secondary students. As we read the articles, you asked thought provoking questions and I could tell we were going to do some deep thinking! Sorry I do not have much else to say but I will try to revisit after I see the video to provide helpful feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Bill! I didn't get to see the introduction of your lesson, which is a pity, but I thought the main body of your lesson went really well! You chose relevant and easy-to-grasp articles with a lot of facts, great for having the students extrapolate their arguments. You encouraged critical thinking by asking questions but remained an unbiased moderator. The only thing I would suggest is to make the debate portion more formalized, but given our constraints that's no real fault of your own. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill, even with the unfortunate techinical difficulties, I did get to see the gist of your lesson. I thought it was very well done, as Common Core English/Language Arts standards are calling for English instruction to be fifty percent fiction and fifty percent non fiction, you found an engaging way to tie in the fifty percent non-fiction. The articles were extremely relevant to students' everyday lives, I'm sure you will have a mix of athletes are games in your classroom. The articles themselves were just challenging enough as Emily had said. I would recommend incorporating this in with some kind of novel or longer story, at least, so the kids do have some context. I'm assuming you have done this, as this is part of a larger unit, but just wanted to add that in. Otherwise, great job! I was really looking forward to a discussion on this, as it would've made for an interesting and memorable class debate, but alas technology seems to never be in our power, I'm sure the discussion portion ended up working smoothly!

    ReplyDelete